Work-related injuries can arise from different causes. There are injuries caused by accidents in the workplace such as a fall from scaffolding, machinery accident, or a vehicle mishap which occurred while driving a company vehicle. These injuries are called industrial accidents.

Meanwhile, there are injuries caused by a continued performance of activities or exposure to hazardous chemicals. These injuries are called industrial diseases. Other injuries which originate from a work-related injury like chronic pain and disability are also treated under Colorado workers’ compensation law. A competent and highly experienced Denver workers’ compensation lawyer can assist you in claiming your compensation.

What is pain?

Pain is relative, so they say, but the International Association for the Study of Pain defined pain and chronic pain in the most exact way possible. Pain is an unpleasant bodily and emotional experience which is accompanied with an actual or potential damage of tissues. Chronic pain, on the other hand, refers to the kind of pain that extends for, at least, 30 days after a reasonable time for an injury or disease to heal.

When is chronic pain work-related?

A chronic pain can be compensated and a Denver workers’ compensation lawyer can help you claim it from your employer. However, before you can ask for a claim, there is one requirement. The chronic character of your pain must be work-related.

A worker who experiences a chronic pain in the back or develops lung cancer, arthritis or other diseases which brings chronic pain must show the strong link between the pain and the work being performed.

Rule 17, Exhibit 9 of Colorado workers’ compensation law requires four major procedures in treating chronic pain disorder: initial evaluation and diagnostic procedures, therapeutic non-operative procedures, therapeutic operative procedures, maintenance.

What to do when experiencing chronic pain

1. Seek medical attention.
First and foremost, you have to take care of yourself. If you do not have a clinic in the office, consult a doctor as soon as possible. If there is a doctor-on-duty at your workplace, inform the doctor thereat, and your supervisor about how you are feeling.

2. File a workers’ comp claim.

While being treated by a doctor, file for a workers’ compensation claim immediately. Filing early will give you time to complete forms and requirements. It will also allow you to receive the benefits the moment you need them.

3. Hire a Denver workers’ compensation lawyer.

A Denver workers’ compensation attorney can help you build a strong case to what’s rightfully yours. Call Kaplan Morrell and speak with one of our experienced attorneys for all your queries. Contact 303.780.7329 for a FREE APPOINTMENT.